16 June 2009

Wait nong nong to know

It is not only true that time teaches us to forget, time also validates.

When I started working some 9 years ago, my first boss Mr C who is a very kind person, loves to walk around the office and talk to his staff, especially the younger ones. I enjoy talking and listening to him, but often could not understand some of the more cryptic things he said.

For example, he would say, don't work for the company, work for yourself or just do one thing a year or ask me 'who's your boss'? He would sometimes chastise me for being naive. I remember once when I went to his room trying to stand tall and act confident, he glanced at me and said,"Wah, want to fight ah."

Nine years on, I begin to understand some of the things that he and other more senior people have said then.

So I guess the message is that you have to give people (and possibly yourself) a chance because what may appear to be obvious may turn out not to be. What may appear to be senseless may eventually become valuable.

No comments: