28 June 2008

Inspired

I was asked to be liaison officer to Prof Tommy Koh for an event over the week. I was inspired, humbled and impressed not only by his towering intellect but also his humility even though he has reached a very high station in life.

Back in JC and later at NTU, I was introduced to Maslow's Theory of Need. Later, as a student of organisational behaviour, I became interested and intrigued by what Maslow termed self-actualization. A high sounding word and seemingly idealistic.

But in Prof Koh, I came to see self-actualization in flesh. At 69 years old and a distinguished diplomat internationally, I do not think he is interested in material gains nor in status. Wherever he goes, people will recognise him and flock to shake his hand. Not only the international delegates, but the local delegates, even the local security guards and policemen will wave and acknowledge him. The point is, these people know that he will care and he will care enough to return a smile, a wave or a hand shake.

I saw him work on one of his speeches one morning. Totally focused on the task at hand, he painstakingly wrote his speech by hand. I had the honour of assisting him to convert that into softcopy by typing using a PC. I am framing the few pieces of paper up!

At 69, he is not going easy on his work. He was involved in drafting the ASEAN charter last year, and most recently he was agent for Singapore in the Pedra Branca dispute and I am sure he still has many responsibilities and projects on hand.

So this is self-actualization. Knowing that one can contribute and one does, producing work and demanding a high standard of work with the aim of serving country and humankind.

No comments: