28 July 2009

Recollections and Reflections from ICT

Making It Interesting

It was meant to be a peaceful and quiet one week. Unsurprisingly, quite a few disapproving voices could be heard when I informed them one day about a change of program into an inter-platoon competition we were going to have in the afternoon. The competition comprises 3 stations of small arms stripping and assembling, followed by building of a shellscrape (from sandbags), donning of a full set of PRC77 (this relic can be viewed at the Army Museum) and correctly aiming a GPMG mounted on a tripod after running with both appurtenances for a distance of 50m. The key ingredients of competition and group identity transformed sleepy and disinterested men into fleet-footed, aggressive and committed soldiers. It was an immensely enjoyable and satisfying experience for me to have organized the event. It also begs the question,”If men are not engaged, could it be that the system or the structure needs improvement?”

Spotting a Loser

I said to the men (to howls of disapproval),” I thought Platoon 2 will surely come in last.” I meant what I said, although in the end they proved me wrong and deservedly won the competition. I told them about my observations that their platoon was the last to report to the store to draw the spade and sandbags. When the rest of the two platoons had finished filling up and dumping the filled sandbags, Platoon 2 had barely started. With such poor teamwork, is it not a given that such a team is bound to lose?

Reaching NS CEP

With my old friend DW and incumbent CSM completing his 10-year cycle, I was announced as the next CSM. As understudy, I had taken over most of his duties for this and the last ICT, and so I am quite confident of my new role. As an NSmen, that is about as high an appointment a non-commissioned officer could go. I had however never contemplated nor wanted to take on this role when I started my then 13-year ICT cycle in 2002; this was subsequently reduced to 10 years in 2008. In the past 7 years, I had gone through varied appointments starting as section commander, taking over as platoon sergeant when the incumbent went for studies, switching to Company Quartermaster Sergeant after I injured my left knee ACL and the incumbent CQMS deferred. Apparently, I did well enough to be considered as a potential replacement for the post of CSM. Looking back, I must say that the opportunities presented themselves simply because the incumbents had to be somewhere else and a replacement needed to be found.

What I Learnt

Taught me to not accept negative ideas/comments, believe in the motivation and persuasion of men and the potential of a better future with hard work.

No comments: