11 November 2008

Arrogrant sportsman

Sunday Times two days ago featured an article by one of the columnists who admitted to being called an arrogant sportsman. Apparently, before he agrees to play badminton with anyone, he will check whether that person is "any good".

As far as badminton is concerned, I agree with the writer. Having played badminton for the past 8 years, the most enjoyable play is when players of around the same standard are pitted against each other.

But having said this, the story should not end there. When I started playing 8 years ago at my present company, I was a bad player. The uncles, some patiently, showed me the basics and which are the important areas to look out for. For example, the proper grip, getting the basic clearing stroke right, not jumping.

So I tried to do the same when I play with my collegues. Those who bother to listen and can understand have progressed. Some have bad habits too ingrained and their progress is slow.

To share the most important lessons in badminton for me;

1) Footwork is critical
2) Get the basic clearing stroke right (shuttle should reach baseline everytime)
3) Don't jump (unless you are advanced)
4) In doubles, there is an optimal way to position. Square (left-right) in defense and front-back in attack.
5) Don't hit to the player. Find space.

No comments: