28 April 2010

On Running

I participated in a mass run at Macritchie Reservoir park last Sunday. Even though I was contemplating not going for the run during a very brief moment when I woke up, the experience of completing the run made me realise it was all worthwhile.

A colleague asked me what do I think about when I run. He says he counts numbers to establish a rhythm and to take his mind off the running. I said I enjoy the experience of running so I do not distract myself. In fact, through my own experience, the longer the distance and hence the longer I run, the mind tends to focus itself better because the mind has a major issue it has to muster, that is getting the tired muscles to work.

So for me, I let the mind run free and I find that it helps me to think about some of the issues at work and see them clearer.

But most importantly, the benefit of the run is to train the mind particularly in not giving up.

So, today, I signed up for another three runs, one of them a half-marathon.

No comments: