01 October 2009

How to say it?

For the first seven years of my work, I spent a great deal of time responding to complaints, both in written and verbal form. I have learnt to write simply but clearly and more importantly in a tone and choice of words that do not further antangonise a customer who is already displeased. I would like to share some of what I learn here in choice of words/ phrases to use. They are equally relevant in normal life.

'Want' and 'Need'
- Everyone has wants, so what's so great about your want. A need is different.
- There is so much difference in tone when you say 'I want you to do this' versus 'I need you to do this'

'Can' and 'May'
- Use 'may' when referring to your actions and use 'can' for others' actions
- E.g. May I use your toilet, 'you can use my toilet' instead of 'You may use my toilet', 'May I invite/request/have your permission'

'Could'
- 'Could' is a more polite form of 'can'
- 'Could I' instead of 'Can I'

'Please'
- Using 'Please' does not necessarily mean you are polite or courteous, e.g. 'Please do it'. Try telling your boss this!
- Say 'Could you please'

'I' and 'We'
- Distinguish clearly who are the subjects and owners of the action. If you are sticking your own neck out, say 'I' instead of 'We' so that you don't implicate others, especially your boss, unnecessarily.
- However, in sharing credit or positive news, always use 'We'.

Pronouns
- And whilst we are at pronouns such as 'We', be clear who the pronouns 'They', 'You', 'He' are referring to by stating their rightful owners right at the beginning.

'Think' and 'Feel'
- There is a distinct difference. If you 'feel' something, then the something must be an emotion, e.g. happy, sad, funny
- If the something is just an issue, then use 'Think'

Asking for something
- Try using 'could you pl let me have the report"

---------------------------------
Caveat: I do not profess to be an English expert. Feel free to let me know your comments so we can all improve.

No comments: