09 August 2008

National Day - Some remarks

I am sure if the organisers had a choice, they would have postponed this year's National Day Parade; but of course they could not. Coming right after the Beijing Olympics opening extravaganza, our little celebration paled in comparison, in scale, complexity, colour, pompousness and almost everything else.

After watching the Chinese PLA soldiers march with the olympic flag for the flag raising, their soldiers tall, erect, mean and really soldierly looking, our own SAF boys looked like, well, boys. Especially the item where our SAF MPs brandished their rifles during the precision drill in their 'so-cool' shades, they almost looked like a concert item in the JC. So that's why we need a 3G army, its probably the only edge we have.

That's where our SAF's pride came in to prove the point, the Black Knights in their predominantly red and white F-16Ds. I can see them strutting their stuff from the comfort of my home. Dana didn't like the noise the jet engines emitted and barked after the planes.


The fly boys got creative this year, creating a heart shape. I think it was dedicated to their wives (I think I heard the commentator say), which would include Zoe Tay because her husband is one of the pilots.
The parade commander was impressive this year, and remembered to command the guard of honour to fire THREE rounds of blanks.

I also liked the fact that the organisers included "We Are Singapore" in the song list. Its my all time favourite.

No comments: